Thursday, June 13, 2013

Tricks of the Trade (Must-Have kitchen utensils), A great App plus I Have a Bone to Pick with Frozen Vegetables!

This week I want to discuss the ‘tools of the trade’ or in our case, the MUST-HAVE utensils you need in your kitchen.  I am sure that you have just about every one of these little goodies, but if you don’t GO OUT AND BUY THEM – they are worth the investment!

My MUST-HAVE utensils list:

Wok

My well-worn and well-loved wok (see the one wooden handle missing)

Woks come in all sizes and shapes.  Look for one made of a good heat-conducting metal, that fits easily and safely on your stove top.  I have a five burner stove with a large burner in the center that is perfect for a wok. 

Buy at least one large wok, so you can comfortably cook multi-portion dishes.  Buy two for both fleishkes and milchicks.   A good wok will last a lifetime!

Grilling pan with grooves



This pan is great for grilling fish, chicken and vegetables without fat or oil.  I love my pan and I love the grill marks it leaves on the food.  Buy two for both fleishkes and milchicks.

Wooden mixing spoons and spatulas



These wooden spoons and spatulas are great for mixing food without mutilating or mashing the ingredients.  They are cheap and usually come in sets of two or three or more.  After use, wash them immediately in hot soapy water and allow to dry COMPLETELY.  Take care of them and they will last for years.

Steamer/Pasta Pot

A good steamer/pasta pot is NOT cheap, but a good one will last (almost ) forever.  As I wrote in a recent article, I keep mine pareve so I can cook all my pastas, as well as steam nearly all my vegetables for any meal.  These pots come in a variety of sizes.  Again, look for a pot that is large enough to hold multi-portion dishes and made of good quality metal.

Food Scale




In the spirit of full disclosure, I must admit that I bought my food scale years ago, when I began doing catering gigs.  Today my food scale has “pride of place” on my counter.  I use it continuously. 

Portion control is the name of the game!  There is no magic here!  Only when you weigh and measure your food on a regular and continuous basis will you have full control over portion size.  Keep the scale in easy access of all your food preparation and GET USED TO USING IT ALL THE TIME. 

Hint for portion control on Shabbat: I always write a Shabbat menu with portion size and points value.  Chicken quarters, chicken breasts and meat can be weighed and the equivalent point value can be recorded before Shabbat.  Portion sizes for side dishes can be established in advance. 

If the portion measurement is in tablespoons – there is no problem to portion out the dish before serving. 

If you want to know a weight value for a points serving: weigh before Shabbat and transfer to a cup or spoon or bowl to see the volume of the food in the ‘container’, then calculate and write down the corresponding point value.  For example, if you want to make sure you only eat a 30 gram portion of nuts: weigh it, transfer it to a cup or bowl, and then check the volume of the nuts in the container.  Now you know how to portion out that specific amount on Shabbat.

Hand blender



I love my hand blender – I have two (fleishkes and milchicks) for use during the year and one for Pesach.  These little puppies are available as stand-alone stick hand blenders and as sets of hand blenders with an assortment of attachments.  I recommend you buy the blender sets and not the stand-alone blender.  Why?  First of all because the price is always dropping and before all major holidays the chain stores offer them at an even further reduced sale price.  

I promise you that once you have the blender set in your kitchen, you will stop schlepping out your big food processors and use these blenders instead.

WW app

Want to always know your points value; whether you are shopping or on the road or in a restuarant?  Download the Weight Watcher PointsPlus Calculator App to your phone.  Just google the App suitable to your phone, download and you’re done!   It’s free!  USE IT!

I have a bone to pick with frozen vegetables!

I want to talk about frozen foods!  I have heard many folks bestow a great many virtues on frozen vegetables: they are easy to buy, quick and easy to use, always available in the supermarket and they make wonderful meals.
 
Now I want to set the record straight!  Everything is correct EXCEPT THE LAST POINT! They are super easy to use, you can buy them, stack them in the freezer and forget about them – but as far as eating them, well…

Full disclosure: in a pinch (= when broccoli is out of season) I will use frozen broccoli in a quiche, I regularly use frozen spinach in lasagnas and I can live with frozen string beans for my string bean and mushroom dish.  BUT I LOATHE the taste of frozen vegetables when they are used as the main vegetables in any other dish.

I have tried frozen vegetables in soups – they are acceptable in soups that will be pureed, but they are pure evil in soups requring chunky vegetables.  Nothing can take the place of fresh vegetables that are freshly cut.  If you don’t have the time to chop your own vegetables for soup, then wait until you have the time, please.

I recently tried making a stir fry with a bag of frozen vegetables that even had a sweet picture of a wok and stir fried vegetables on the package.  Now I always treat my frozen vegetables with the utmost of respect. I take the bag of vegetables out of the freezer, I transfer them to a bowl or strainer, and I do not allow them to become wilted or boil them.  I cook them with the same love I cook “real” vegetables, but they are flat, imitations of the crisp fresh vegetables I demand for my stir fries.  And as such, they have very little place in my “bag of tricks”.

Next week more recipes and hints and stories.  Stay tuned….

No comments:

Post a Comment