Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Surviving Shavuot: To Cheese or Not to Cheese – that is the question! And a Great Lasagna recipe that is points-friendly!!!!


Shavuot is just around the corner.  Everywhere we look there is a conspiracy to have us eat as much cheese as possible.  I am sure that if it were in the hands of the cheese and pasta industries, Shavuot would be extended to a full week!  As it is every company from Tnuva and Tara to boutique cheese companies, pasta manufacturers and even the fashion industry is clamoring to get into the act of selling us anything that is white and cheesy. 
The question has to be – how do we deal with all that cheese?  There are two schools of thought (aren't there always??).
1)   Shavuot is only one day (two days abroad and I have to say that I think a two-day holiday would be nice) so eat a little bit of everything and enjoy!
or
2)   Shavuot is a cholesterol nightmare and you should make your "own" food and eat correctly without disturbing your diet.
Both schools of thought have their merit.  If you can truly, really and honestly have just a small portion of each dish, then go forth my child and have fun.  I also feel that if you are going to eat something points-heavy – then it should be WORTH it.  Eat a really good piece of cheese cake!  Eat a really worthwhile portion of Fettuccini Alfredo!  Don't waste your points on foods that are not "too die for" (that's a professional term!).
I, for one, cannot live according to this school of thought!  I need to have my own food items or I will not survive!
So how will I deal with the Shavuot meals?  Simple!  For the "swarm" I will make: WARNING IF YOU HAVE HIGH CHOLESTOROL, HEART PROBLEMS OR HAVE WILLPOWER ISSUES YOU MAY WANY TO SKIP THIS: lasagna with five cheeses, a cheese and mushroom soup, Fettuccini Alfredo, focaccia, salad with feta and cranberries and a cheese cake that is so decadent and dense it takes two and half hours of oven-time.  There usually is another dish or two, but I won't bore you or tempt you.
For myself and Sidney, I will make fish, a wonderful cheese-less/noodle-less lasagna (see recipe below) and a big salad.  A piece of the real cheese cake is optional!
What I want you to take away from this week's second blog article is shop carefully and thoughtfully for Shavuot, as this is only a one-day "performance".  While learning all night, just remember to take a few good walks around the neighborhood!
And now for that Lasagna (sorry no picture this week – hopefully I will have one up just before chag!)  
Yochi's Cheese-less Noodle-less Lasagna
Hints and Tips:
·        I buy small cherry tomatoes whenever I can, which seems to be nearly all year long.  I have nearly zero-waste, as these good, firm, small tomatoes last longer than the larger ones and the crushed, not-so-nice ones are GREAT for sauces and soups.  This is a great time to put all the not-so-nice ones into your lasagna sauce.
·        I don't use disposal baking dishes, unless I am bringing a dish over to a friend for Shabbat.  The disposable ones are not made for baking heavy dishes such as lasagnas and meats (sorry about that juxtaposition); they are easily punctured and are just not nice looking on the table.
I prefer the good sturdy glass baking dishes in a variety of sizes and depths. 
·        To make a "super points-friendly version of the lasagna", I make the lasagna with long slices of skinned eggplant instead of lasagna noodles.  Make sure to always soak the eggplant once it is sliced to prevent bitterness in your dish.  Eggplants also tend to blacken or darken the dish as well if they are not pre-soaked.
·        The best way to prepare the vegetable layers is to work in the "oriental cooking manner": cook all the hard, slow-to-cook vegetables first and then add the softer, quicker-to-cook vegetables.  This way the vegetables will cook well and thoroughly and you will not end up with a half undercooked-half overcooked mess.

 Ingredients:
·        Eggplants or lasagna noodles
·        Mushrooms – sliced for garnish
·        Vegetable layer:
o   Chopped red peppers
o   Chopped carrots
o   Chopped celery
o   Chopped onions
o   Chopped garlic
o   Chopped squash (optional)
o   Chopped Eggplants (optional)
o   Chopped mushrooms (optional)
·        Sauce layer:
o   Fresh not-so-nice crushed tomatoes or cans of crushed tomatoes
·        Spices for both layers: garlic powder, freshly ground pepper, paprika, chopped fresh parsley, fresh or dried basil, fresh or dried oregano, fresh or dried thyme

·        water

·        PAM

How to work:
1.   First prepare the eggplants. Peel the outer skin and slice lengthwise.  Make sure the slices are about the thickness of a pinky or less. Soak in water for about an hour.  Rinse and then press out all the liquid before using them.
2.   Now prepare the vegetable layer(s).  Prepare and chop all the vegetables. Spray a wok or deep frying pan with PAM and then, as described above, cook the hard, slow-cooking vegetables first.  Watch the vegetables carefully so you do not burn them. 
3.   Once these vegetables become a bit soft and change to a deeper color you can either add small amounts of water and then the softer vegetables or just add the vegetables alone.  In either case, once the vegetables are cooking "nicely" you will need to add water and the spices.
4.   Here is the tricky part: you will now add enough water and spices to create a semi-thick sauce that covers about half way up the vegetables.  This sauce is very important to the softness and texture of the final dish.
5.   I love oregano and other, what I call, Italian spices.  I add very generous amounts to my lasagna. 
6.   Once the vegetables are cooked.  Take the pan off the flame and leave the vegetables in the pan to cool.
7.   Now prepare your sauce.  I have long since stopped making a cooked tomato sauce.  It is simply too much work and, in my opinion, does not add anything to the overall dish.  In a very large bowl I mix the crushed tomatoes, canned or fresh with all the spices mentioned above. You need to make a good amount of sauce for this dish.  Any leftover sauce can be froozen!
8.   Once again, you need to add enough water to make a sauce that is the consistency of a slightly watery soup.
9.   Slice the mushrooms for garnish.
10.                Now it is time to assemble the dish.  I like to have all my ingredients in an "assembly line" – so I place my baking dish, next to the sliced eggplants, pan of cooked vegetables and bowl of sauce.  I also make a plate of sliced mushrooms and extra oregano to either add on the top of each layer or just sprinkle on the very top layer.
11.                The number of layers you place in your dish depends on the depth of your baking dish and how thick you like your lasagna.  I like a thick lasagna and will usually have about four to five layers.
12.                Start with a layer of eggplant slices placed side-by-side on the dish.  Try to make one flat, even layer.
13.                Next add a ladle or two (depending on the size of your dish and your ladle) of cooked vegetables.
14.                Next pour over this layer a ladle or two (or even three) of tomato sauce.
15.                Add mushrooms and oregano for garnish, if desired and then start a new layer.
16.                Continue layering till the very top of the pan. The final "layer" should be a thin layer of sauce, sliced mushrooms and oregano.
17.                I warmly recommend that you line the rack in the oven underneath the lasagna with parchment paper, since the lasagna's sauce has a nasty habit of bubbling over.
18.                Bake in a preheated oven to 180°C for about  30-35 minutes.  Cooking time may vary according to oven, baking pan material (glass or metal) and number of layers of the dish.  The dish is ready once the sauce begins to bubble and the mushrooms are browned.  Remember, the ingredients in this dish are already cooked!
Have a wonderful Shavuos!!!!  If anyone wants my decadent cheese cake recipe please send request on my FB page or email me at yochi.eisner@gmail.com
Do you have any questions? Any comments?  Write me or facebook me!  B'TeyAvon!

No comments:

Post a Comment